I'm more than happy to be corrected on this - good lateral thinking Mark !

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, and good flying too

Regards

Jason Armistead

At 10:38 PM 23/12/2004, you wrote:
Jason Armistead wrote:

For an auto launch, the instrumentation can be attached to the rope/cable at the auto end of things, but for the winch launch, because the rope/cable is being wound onto a reel, you need to fit it to the glider end of things, which means it also has to be capable of withstanding the drop back to earth once the rope is released.

No you don't :-) You can use an arrangement like this at the winch or car end.

The cable is "kinked" around the three pulleys.  As more load is
placed on it, it'll try to stretch itself straight.  You can measure
the load placed on the middle pulley, which will be directly
proportional to the stretching load on the cable.

(I used to write software for a company which fitted this kind of
stuff to cranes)

   - mark