Hi Michael,

        I fly at Mangrove Mountain NSW were we have been using standard 10
poly rope for over 6 years. On the glider end we have a swivel then a
parachute made from a small grain bail bag then a weak link then 5 meter
length of think rope in a plastic sleeve to the rings.

        We use a chute as we have lots of x-wind and a narrow strip. The
rope is always wound right back to the winch at speed to keep the tension up
which makes for less problems on the tow out.

        In practice the stretch is not a factor as the bow in the rope
causes the same effect. The one thing with the stretch the ride from the
glider end is very smooth.

        Our winch is a 351 Cleveland through a 3 speed auto to a 2 ton diff
and axel. The only mods we have done is a bigger drum to hold the rope. The
drum no longer has guards over it either (the drive is in a metal cage).
>From a which driver perspective there is no difference in power required for
a given day over the old wire launch.

        Our strip is almost all grass now thanks to a lot of effort over the
years but it is still hard on the rope as there is a ~50 foot hill in the
middle of our strip which doesn't have much grass on it (not to mention the
dip and bend) so it is though of the rope but when the sums are done. The
rope doesn't last as long but the lower cost means the cost per launch is
better.

        The biggest plus with the rope is tangles and rope breaks are easy
to fix. No more having people all over the strip straighting out the wire
and holding it there to stop it coiling up again (been there done that). I
have seen problems that would have taken hours with the wire to sort out
fixed in 15min without rushing. We have also found that the overruns caused
by a back realse under tension are very rear happens anymore and if they do
most time you just keep winding in the rope with the loop then just tow it
out slowly.

        Would I use anything else? No way if we went back to wire I would
move clubs again. I got tired of the wire problems and flew elsewhere for 6
years and only came back after a few visits and found out how much lees work
is required when using rope.

Regards,
Arie van Spronssen
Ka6cr driver