On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:33:02 +1030, you wrote:

> John Giddy wrote:
>
>>Battery, tie-down kit and instruments are normally included during the
>>weighing of the glider. The usable cockpit load only includes the
>>pilots, parachutes, water bottles, lunch, maps etc.
>>
> Hi John,
>
> Your second statement  is perfectly correct but I'm not sure that your
> first statement is always correct. It is true from the point of view
> that the battery etc is included in the glider weight.
>
> But with the new gliders that I have been associated with, the factory
> weighing only includes basic instruments and nothing else, so that the
> difference between the max. allowable weight and the empty weight, ex
> factory, usually diminishes as the glider is kitted out for use.
>
> That, in turn, affects how much is left over for the meat and bone load.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Leigh Bunting
> Colonel Light Gardens
> South Australia
> <Open Windows and let the bugs in>

You are correct Leigh, but the cockpit placard should show the cockpit
load as I stated. i.e. eveything which is not normally part of the
glider. One can argue about tie-down kits, but if instruments are
fitted, the weight and balance of the glider should be recalculated to
allow for them, and the placard amended accordingly.
It is unrealistic to expect a pilot to to know to make allowance for
some instruments which have been added since the original w & b was
done, particularly for a club glider, where the pilot may not be aware
of the glider's history; and how many pilots do you know who read and
digest the aircraft log book with all its updates of w & b before
flying a club glider ?
Cheers,  John G.