Mark Newton wrote:

I reckon Balaklava Gliding Club in SA financed their pair of ASK21's
by taking out a mortgage on their airfield.

Actually, not true.

We had a reserve fund built up over many years, much of which came from years of barnstorming around the state and flying punters who wanted a ride; selling 2 Blaniks and a Hornet and debentures to club members.

All of which meant that our '21's have been debt free for some years.

And in May we take the '21s on another barnstorming weekend out of a farmer's paddock, and providing the weather is kind, we hope to introduce many more people to silent aviation and maybe, just a tiny maybe, there might be a member in it for us and to pay for the overhaul of our two winches, which will both have completely rebuilt (and worked over) 351 Ford V8's and be roadworthy and registered for road use.

One winch has been completed and performs so well, we would just love to have a drag-off at the lights against some smart-arse in a hot Nissan who might just find that an old Bedford double-cab truck could out-gun him.

--
Leigh Bunting
Colonel Light Gardens