At 03:54 PM 6/04/05 +0930, you wrote:
>   Ron said:    "GOOD gliding with your own  aeroplane is EASILY
>affordable."   And I and others do  Ron!   I said:   "............to
>participate in the sport at a meaningful  level."     A world class or
>classes has to be better than the dogs dinner we have  now.

Dogs dinner? The Club class is well supported in many countries. Far more
than the "World Class". Gliders back to the beginning of the fiberglass
revolution are competitive. That was 40 years ago BTW. You aren't going to
be able to buy a new "World Class" glider for less than  you can buy a
better performing old glass glider. No way. Not unless the wings are
covered in Dacron and made of aluminium tube anyway....

 As I have said
>on this list before, the dinghy sailers went through all  of this 50 years
>ago. Why can't we learn from that history?

Because like racing cars or go karts , dinghys do not land out. Low
performance gliders land out more often than high performance gliders do.
The Std Libelle, Cirrus etc are above the critical performance level, just.

That is not to say we should not
>have an open class as that, as with F1,  is where the technological
>advances come from. Anyway, who is competing, people or  manufacturers?
>McDonnell

What is the problem? You could have bought a new Std Cirrus in 1972,
competed in FAI standard Class for ten years before the LS4 came along and
now can compete and win at World level in it. 33 years! It even looks like
a modern glider. The casual observer can't tell the difference. He sure can
with the PW5.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784