-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Newton
Sent: Thursday, 7 April 2005 2:27 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Inattentional Blindness

The Visual Cognition Lab at the Beckman Institute at University of
Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) studies human response to visible
stimuli.

In my opinion, some of their work has direct applicability to
gliding look-out skills.

Here's an example:  Visit
http://viscog.beckman.uiuc.edu/grafs/demos/15.html

There's a video there which takes a while to load (it's about 7.5 Mbytes).
Be patient.

When it has loaded, upon pressing "Play" you'll see a 45 second video
which shows two teams (one in white shirts, one in black shirts) passing
basketballs to each other.  Your job is to count the number of passes
carried out by people in white shirts.  Ignore the people in black shirts,
they're just a distraction.

Perform this test *once*, and once only.

Once you've noted down the count of passes, rewind the video and watch
it again, this time without trying to count any passes.  Is there anything
unexpected about the film that you missed during the first viewing?

Try it out with some friends around the workplace and you'll get some
startling results.

The conclusion drawn from this test is that humans will completely
fail to perceive anything they're not giving direct attention to
(there is a stack of other research carried out by the VisCog lab
to back this up;  this test isn't the only thing that has drawn them
to this conclusion).

They've produced a DVD which has about 20 examples like this
http://www.viscog.com/contents.html
The basketball video is one of the Selective Attention Task films.

I think the Flicker Task, Gradual Task and Selective Attention Task
have direct applicability to glider look-out training.  I'm getting a
copy of the video to evaluate its use for a lookout seminar at AUGC
later in the year, but I thought I'd mention it here in case any
other clubs might have the same thoughts I've had upon seeing this stuff.

   - mark