From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Harry Medlicott
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 11:39 AM
To: aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net
Subject: [Aus-soaring] safety and GFA - Agree with Harry's Analysis

Hi All,

Contributors concerned at the lack of detail relating to glider accidents should heed the professionally based advice of Peter Heath. The laws of liability are such that, apart from those similar to the meagre one liners written on behalf of the BGA, or a degree of immunity such as enjoyed CASA or ATSB, only those with no assets to risk can afford to make definitive statements about individual accidents.

Just what those who would like to know more of the distressing details hope to achieve is a matter of speculation as the causes of glider accidents have been studied world wide, are not likely to change, and the remedies to reduce them to an irreducible minimum pretty well known.  To summarize  :-

Spins and low level loss of control
Accidents resulting from this cause have greatly reduced over the years and this has been attributed to the benign stalling and spin characteristics of most modern gliders. Maintaining 1.5 VS at a height below which you are prepared to recover from an inadvertent spin avoids this. A major problem is that as we get closer to the ground our ability to identify the horizon and the gliders attitude reduces and that we must regularly confirm speed by scanning the ASI. Under conditions of turbulence near the ground once every 5 seconds is not too often.

Incorrect use of controls
Such as flaps instead of dive brake or too much dive brake could be almost eliminated by teaching pilots to glance at the wing when deploying these controls.

Tug- glider collisions near airfields
Account for about half of glider related fatalities in Australia. Tug pilot fatalities per hour flown are far greater than aerial crop-dusting or spraying. Could be minimized by separation of launching operations and improved radio communications as recommended byATSB.

En-route mid air collisions
Apart from ridge related ones overseas, these regularly involve a glider already in a thermal and a cruising glider or a thermal joining glider. Half of the pilots involved do not survive. Below 3,000 ft your chances are pretty slim and improve above that height. In almost every case one glider had a clear frontal view of the other glider.
The conclusion must be reached that look out is defective. I learnt to fly and instruct at a winch site The chance of a mid-air was almost nil. I know I was taught lookout poorly and that as an instructor I did not teach others adequately. A very good rule is not to look away from your carefully scanned frontal straight ahead view (which encompasses a 60 degree field of vision) for more than 5 seconds - this includes instruments, clouds, other gliders, the airfield and even scanning the sky for other gliders. The GFA has concluded a study on lookout which deserves your careful attention.

Terrain and weather related
Mostly a pilots personal choice and he knows he is taking a risk. A case for psychological counseling.

Perhaps by making these comments I am putting my personal assets on the line! Perhaps I should write a multi page disclaimer! As an instructor the greatest fear has been that I would overlook some aspect of a students training and he would get hurt. Consequently accidents have been studied with a view of them not happening to me or my students. So I suppose the smart ones reading this will say that much more information should be available about each and every accident. Not needed apart from introducing the fear factor. Please spend at least as much time improving safety factors in your own flying and at your club as you do reading and writing for aus-soaring,

Harry Medlicott