On Wed, 25 May 2005 08:03:23 +1000, you wrote:
<<< snip >>>

> The other item missing from the discussion is that ADS-b was not designed
> for aircraft to aircraft crash avoidance, rather it is system designed to
> replace the current SSR environment, anti collision was a bonus, as all the
> aircraft squitter on a single channel and can be decoded on a receiver. If
> the gliding community wants to adopt a separate anti collision system, I
> would be just as interested in engineering that solution as I have been with
> ADS-B provided a universal standard is adopted, which requires the current
> companies that have systems to agree to release the protocol and the
> manufacturers are indemnified from litigation should the system fail and
> people die. ADS-B doesn't indemnify us either, but at least I can refer to
> the 1,000 pages plus specifications!

Nigel,
I also am not impressed that 1090 MHz was chosen as the vehicle for
ADS-B. IMHO there would be greater range using a VHF frequency as you
mentioned some other countries are using. My belief is that it was the
RPT lot who convinced Airservices to use the Transponder frequency as
they all had Mode S  Transponders, and also TSO'd GPS systems, and it
was just a matter of connecting the two and a bit of software for the
Transponder.

However, that has been the decision, and so we are stuck with it. I
think it would be unwise to also introduce an incompatible system for
glider use. This would leave gliders as undisplayed on power aircraft
receivers (if they elect to fit them), and would also mean that the
power aircraft were not visible to the glider pilot either.
It is all very well to say that the Mark 1 eyeball is your best
friend, (and I don't disagree) but if there is also some form of early
warning of other traffic in the area, that eyeball can be much more
useful, and the scan directed more accurately, giving the pilot a
better chance of seeing a fast moving aircraft at a distance where
evasive action can be taken.
By all means develop a special receiver for gliders which has the
facility to filter out very close threats, such as gaggles in thermals
(pilot selectable, of course), but please don't advocate a system
which is incompatible with ADS-B.
Cheers,  John G.