    *From:* Terry Neumann <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    *To:* Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
    <mailto:aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
    *Sent:* Wednesday, June 22, 2005 1:44 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [Aus-soaring] Airmanship not numbers

    Patrick Barfield wrote:

I believe that lookout and recognition of collision potential are far more
important. If you are going to hit another aircraft, it will be stationary
in the canopy - you won't hit another aircraft if the relative line of sight
is moving. Therefore if you see an aircraft that is stationary in the
windscreen at any distance you need to initiate avoiding action.

    I agree Patrick.   While the flying in the thermal is such that
    both pilots keep an eye on each other a_nd remain within the other
pilot's field of view at all times_ things should be fine.
    What really gets my pulse into overdrive rate is when the other
    aircraft at the same level persists in tightening the turn in
    towards you, and eventually closes in behind you and/or has
    disappeared altogether, and you don't know where he/she is.   You
    could assume that they are still watching out for you, and are now
    taking all the responsibility for adequate separation, but what if
    they aren't?   What if they can't see you either?

    How could that happen you ask?  Well, you see there is at least
    one thermalling scenario where neither pilot can see the other
    aircraft, and a collision can and sometimes does occur.  It's
    useful to think about how this could happen, and then swear to
    yourself on a stack of old AG's  that you will never ever allow
that possibility to arise in your own flying.
    Sorry Ian and others, I know this has gone on a bit, but  it's a
    useful discussion which just might be important sometime,
    especially as what we are seeing suggests that this may not have
always been dealt with as well as it might have at club level.
    Regards, (and apologies to those who have had enough)
    Terry

Kevin