From: Geoff Kidd
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] A NEW APPROACH TO GFA PROMOTION & MEMBERSHIP??

See http://www.glidingmagazine.com/FeatureArticle.asp?id=485 for the NZ article titled "Membership: ItÂ’s not a pretty picture".

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 1:09 PM

Robert Hart wrote:

> Geoff Kidd wrote:
>
>>     I would council the GFA to take (pay for) professional advice on
>> key issues such as marketing etc.
>
> Agreed - but only after some extensive consultation in-house - ie with
> the members. It is the members' organisation and they should have the
> major say in the direction their organisation takes. Once the goals are
> known, expertise to help achieve those goals can be paid for.

Don't agree, Robert.  The goals are already known;  Extensive
consultation with the members is going to deliver the same outcome
we're already talking about here, namely that the sport needs to be
grown.

The particular ways in which it is grown aren't (or shouldn't be)
important to the current members.  We all happen to fit in to a
culture that says lots of time and not much money is an ok way to
learn how to fly, otherwise we wouldn't be here.  So our ideas about
the way to go about this, as shaped by our personalities and
experiences are automatically incompatible with the potential customer
base we're talking about here.

In short, if GFA engaged in detailed consultation with the members,
and the members recommended the particular direction to take, then
the members would effectively sabotage the process by recommending
a direction which was familiar and (for their demographic) "tried
and true."  The safe option is the one we already have, because (for
us) it has worked.

Taking a new direction requires the organization's management to
take a risk, to do some stuff which hasn't been done before which
is targeted at growing the sport.  Consultation with outsiders, not
insiders, is necessary -- outsiders will have perspectives that would
simply never occur to the likes of you and me, and (by definition)
they're the kinds of people we need to appeal to.

> but I would suggest that there is a heap of untapped expertise
> amongst the GFA membership.

... and look where it's managed to get us.

Forget it.  Just pay someone who really knows what they're doing,
instead of relying on volunteers who *say* they know what they're
doing.

Frankly I don't give a rat's arse about whether the strategies
employed by the GFA to grow the membership are compatible with the
views I'd put forward if I was consulted, as long as they work.
The end justifies the means.

> I am not suggesting that the membership take
> on entirely the production of the business plan (few members will have
> both the time and expertise available to do that), but this is where we
> should start as the membership will have a set of views that are bound
> to illuminate the issues in interesting and useful ways (some of which
> will be negative - also good to know).

Yeah, great, if we want the whole process to get bogged down in
bureaucracy for five years while half the membership argues about whether
they've been consulted enough and the other have bitches about the
fact that their responses to consultation have been ignored, then
that might be a good idea.

There are too many prima-donnas in the gliding movement who will be
only too happy to vociferously oppose anything that they, personally,
don't feel happy about.  When you have enough people like that with
opposing views, it's always easier to blow them all off and just get
on with the job.  Who cares if there are a handful of seriously pissed
off people who think they're being ignored if hundreds of new pilots
are joining the sport every year?  That's an acceptable price to pay,
in my opinion.  We don't *need* the entire existing membership to be
happy if there are plenty of new members coming in to replace the ones
who are upset enough to leave.

> Hmm - *I* do not want to set the principles and aims - but *we* (the
> membership) should do so.

We already know what the aims are:  lots of new pilots, enough new
money coming in to grow the fleet, everyone having fun without having
to get emeshed in the day-to-day running of the national body.

I doubt that there has been a single national exec in the last ten
years who hasn't known what those goals are.  They haven't failed to
achieve those aims due to ignorance of what they are, they've failed
to achieve them because the stuff they've tried hasn't worked.

If you spend the next five years consulting, you'll have arrived at the
same answer and wasted five years, and you'll *still* have an exec who
knows the right answer but doesn't know how to implement it.

So stop wasting time, hire someone who does, and make the problem go away.

   - mark