Geoff Kidd wrote:

Robert
The AMSA website mentions that they are lobbying for the international specs to be relaxed a tad so that cheaper technology can be accepted, which will make the 406 MHz units cheaper and smaller, but it's interesting that with the Feb 2009 date now within the battery life of most EPIRBs, you need to buy an imminently superseded unit to get a "personal" EPIRB or reasonable size.

I purchased my EPIRB back in 2002 knowing that the technology was to be superseded in 2009 - but getting nearly 7 years usage out of a 10 year life device seemed reasonable.

There do appear to be 406MHz personal systems available in the US - but they are quite expensive - about US$800.

Wow!

I emailed AMSA about this and within 5 minutes my mobile rang with someone answering my query. I am blown away by their service!

There are two Australian companies currently working on personal 406MHz beacons. These are in trials now and should be on the market in the middle of next year. They will be slightly larger (but only slightly) and should cost about A$550. The recommendation was that, provided you can wait for the release next year of these new products (from GME and KTI) , you should do so.

Looking at the costs, it would be cheaper to buy a VHF only EPIRB now and then wait until late 2008 to replace it with a 406MHz unit, by which time I expect they will have dropped in price even further.

I certainly do not intend to replace my EPIRB until then (unless the unit dies of course).

--
Robert Hart                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+61 (0)438 385 533                        http://www.hart.wattle.id.au