Stuart (and others who might be interested).

I guess the "coping strategies" used by we "colour blind" people use depend
on the degree of colour blindness. I can only speak from my own experiences.

I don't recall the exact name of my "affliction", but mine is realtively
mild. Red and green are the usual problem colours. I have problems generally
with the finer shades of red and green. I actually had no idea I had a
problem until about 2nd of 3rd year high school when a guy came around doing
vocational guidance testing and I had all sorts of problems with the
"Ishahara (?)Test" - the book where the pages have numbers made up of
coloured dots. It was then I realised why I sometimes said something was
light green when it was light grey, or dark brown instead of dark red. I do,
though, still see most variations of red and green as somthing that I
identify as red and green, but clearly I don't see it the same as you
"normal" people do, either as colour or as intensity.

If you are wearing a red or green shirt I know you are. And I love red cars.
I see red or green traffic signals - if you turned the lamp set upside down
I would know it so I don't go by the "top" and "bottom" light to decide if I
go through the intersection!

In the garden I'll see a red rose but I have to look for it - it doesn't
jump out at me the way a yellow or white one does.

In terms of coping strategies, the conscious ones at least are pretty
simple. If I play golf I will never use a red tee because it will be a
"single use" job! I'll never find it again - so I  use yellow or white.

If I'm choosing clothes or anything to do with colours (and I hate shopping
with a passion) I seek the advice of my very colour wise wife.

The biggest major coping strategy though was to have to forget my lifelong
ambition to be an airline pilot. The first strategy then was a change of
career and I became a civil engineer. When my first posting with the (then)
DMR in NSW took me to Wentworth, and the resident works engineer turned out
to the president of the Sunraysia Gliding Club, the second major strategy
was to take him up on his invitation to go gliding, so flying became my
recreation. And, in one of those life-numbers that you don't want to work on
too often, I see from my logbook that on 18th December it will be 40 years
since that day that changed my life for the better!

Other than that, it's not something I really think about, nor am overtly
conscious of most of the time. As I sit here looking out my window across
the lovely green garden into the clear blue sky it all looks great -
whatever colour it really is!

Allan Armistead
ph (02) 6249 6470, fax (02) 6249 6555, mobile 0413 013 911
PO Box 908, Dickson ACT 2602, Australia

"When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been and there you always will be."
Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519