To: <aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 8:40 AM
Subject: [Aus-soaring] colors

I will pass an interesting story about those who judge color blindness. Some years ago, whilst going for a medical examination for a racing licence (water-skiing), I was hand-balled to the "intern" at my local GP's for a medical. I had known the GP for many years and he was confident I would pass, a fit, young healthy 20 something year old. The medical apprentice took me aside, probed here, pushed there, checked this and prodded that. A half hour went by whilst everything came out fine. Then came out the eyecharts, low and behold I am color-blind! Red was green, yellows were white, the whole she-bang. I was devastated, my face must have dropped a mile. The GP was duly advised, and consoled me on the spot. I had known for years that my father was afflicted the same way, although that mattered not, as he didnt want to ski-race! The GP- seeing my dissapointment- suggested we test again, winking that there werent THAT many colors in water-skiing at speed and that I should probably not pursue a career in electronics, as colored wires are common and might prove expensive to get wrong. So the three of us sat down and re-tested the sad 20 something year old, first with the lettered distance charts (always read them on the way in, if the bottom line says "printed by blah blah blah printing, Melbourne" and you recite that when asked for the lowest line you can discern, you will pass, believe me), then the colored pages. We all rolled about laughing when it became obvious that it was the intern that was color-blind, not the patient. Poor bugger was on his 4th medical year and never knew.

Wayne Carter