From: Jim Kelly
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] FLARM Logger ability

Whilst considering FLARM developments, it occurs to me that it is of little point claiming that they are "a logger" unless they are of a standard that satisfies the pervasive On-Line-Contest (OLC) system of rules - which I think requires FAI approval. The rumours that many of the older FAI approved loggers are about to become "non-approved" could add weight to early adoption of the FLARM system if logging capability was tamper-proofed to the satisfaction of the FAI approval process. Thus FLARM equipped gliders would then automatically be equipped to:

* record all flights for post analysis/discussion
* allow flights to be entered into the OLC competition (which encourages 'free flying' of UN-declared routes)
* allow flights to be claimed for FAI IGC badges without the use of barographs and cameras
* allow flights to be claimed for world records

Without such endorsement then they are of no better use as a logger than a low cost handheld GPS. With FAI approval, it would be hard for a club to resist at least discussing their inclusion in all club ships.

As for the inevitable discussions re lookout, I'd like to suggest that an attitude of seeing gliders before FLARM be adopted, sort of a private competition. If FLARM alerts you before you saw it, heads up!!

Just my 2c.

Jim Kelly
VMFG