They can in Australia also. Keep watching.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike
Borgelt
Sent: Sunday, 18 December 2005 10:23 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring inAustralia.
Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] Re: membership

At 09:13 PM 18/12/05 +1030, you wrote:

> [...]

It would be interesting if someone pushed the point here about a
professional gliding instructor who also happened to be a tug pilot with a
PPL. Can he REALLY legally tow in the professional operation? It has been
done lots of times of course. CASA actually has rules about cost sharing
which would seem to be broken in this case.

The FAA makes the hidden assumption that glider towing is a commercial
operation which leads to things like Experimental homebuilts not being
allowed to tow gliders but on closer examination they mean tow gliders
commercially. Experimental homebuilts can be used to tow gliders legally in
the US. I got that from one who should know - Dick Van Grundsven who has
tested the RV's in this use.

In practice the FAA regulates gliding with a very light hand. It just
doesn't figure on their priorities. Most of the modern imported gliders
seem to be flying on Experimental - Air racing/Exhibition certificates as
they would be long out of date by the time the rubber stamping of the
German type certificate made it to the top of the pile.

Interestingly the FAA just doesn't seem to be the object of much hate or
derision amongst US soaring pilots unlike  CASA/GFA here.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784