All

I've noticed a few people putting information about various gliders onto the Wikiglide wiki site - most probably ones from their club fleet or their personal aircraft.

Can I suggest the following "etiquette" for doing so:

1. Upload any photos of gliders using filenames that reflect the registration e.g. for my club ASK 13, with registration GIQ, I'd recommend uploading it as "VH-GIQ.JPG". By keeping the VH- prefix, this avoids overlaying specific three-letter acronyms (TLAs) such as GPS, or STF which have other meanings. If you want to upload a series of photos, how about giving them some description after the registration details. e.g. "VH-GIQ at Camden.JPG"

2. If you create an article about a glider model then please try to use the manufacturer's full name as a prefix. In the case of the trusty ASK 13, it would be "Alexander Schleicher ASK 13". With the Mediawiki software, it is possible to create a "redirect" from an abbreviated type designation to the fully qualified article name e.g. for article #REDIRECT [[Alexander Schleicher ASK 13]]. In fact, that's exactly what I've done for both ASK-13 and "ASK 13" article names. In effect, the user will get redirected to the fully qualified article name.

Another advantage of # 2 is that it keeps us in line with the way the Wikipedia site is organised, allowing us to copy or refer to articles on that site more easily.

Cheers

Jason