-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Scott
Penrose
Sent: Wednesday, 1 February 2006 16:54
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in
Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] daylight display screens

On 01/02/2006, at 16:44, Robert Hart wrote:

> Brett Kettle wrote:
>>
>> This list recently reported the successes of John Wharington, Todd ?,
>> etc establishing an OZFLARM-based clubhouse display for finishing
>> gliders at Benalla. I'm looking to create something similar for the
>> DDSC 'pie-cart' (we now have 100% of the club fleet and all bar a
>> couple of stragglers in the private fleet OZFLARM-equipped). Cathy
>> Conway's give me some useful antenna advice and I'm trying to find a
>> good display option.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations on a computer screen that will
>> still be clearly visible with bright sky behind the observer?
>> LCD? TFT? CRT? or another TLA?
>>
> My (limited - using a laptop mostly but also a PC/CRT on a few
> occasions) experience is that flat screens are considerably to be
> preferred in such conditions. With a flat screen one can usually find
> an angle which minimises reflections whereas this is very hard to
> achieve with a curved screen. With the addition of a shade, things
> improve considerably.

Yes I agree - and the price is getting better. Although a laptop has been
suggested for power issues, you still can only run laptops for no more than
about 2 hours - which means you still need a power source.

> An old(er) laptop would meet the needs - but newer ones have a
> brighter screen and a wider viewing angle. With a laptop, you also
> open up the possibility of linking into the wireless LAN which means
> the duty crew would have access to the latest radar pictures, useful
> when storms are around! With 12v solar power in the pie cart, we
> should be able to keep things powered up for a day if we increase the
> collector area.

Laptop and Desktop both have the ability to use wireless - infact it is
cheaper on a desktop and better support for external aerials :-)

Scott