Yes it all happened prior to me joining, must have been early '80s (I joined
in 1986). We used to operate from the Snowy Mountains Authority airfield at
Polo Flat (and a number of others prior to that over the years) and SMA
decided they didn't want us anymore. (Ironically they sold that airfield
some years ago and it was bought by one of our former members.)

Owning your own bit of ground does come with it's own set of issues, like
controlling rabbits and noxious weeds, but there is a real security about
it. Even operating from an established airfield is no proof against
problems, as other can attest.

Our biggest medium-long term concern on the land front is that slowly but
surely the rural dwellings are creeping out from Cooma. Although we have -
and cultivate - good relations with our neighbours it may only be a matter
of time before someone buys a block and "suddenly discovers" that an
airfield is nearby and it makes a noise on weekends. Bit like some of the
Pitt Street Farmers who buy their little bit or rural paradise only to find
that the dairy farmer down the road takes his cows across the road for
milking and the cow pats make a mess on their four wheel drive! Shock
horror! Unfortunately the "we were here first" defence doesn't necessarily
carry a lot of weight.

However, hopefully if it comes to that our land will be a valuable
subdivision proposition and we can sell up for a handsome reward and buy
something a bit more isolated from those sorts of pressures. But that's a
way down the track yet.

If you possibly can, buy your own bit of dirt.

Allan Armistead
ph (02) 6249 6470, fax (02) 6249 6555, mobile 0413 013 911
PO Box 908, Dickson ACT 2602, Australia

"When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been and there you always will be."
Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519