-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Graeme Cant
Sent: Wednesday, 22 February 2006 17:37
To: aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net
Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] RE: Near misses

>From: Mike Cleaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>This is quite simply a consignment of ancient testicles (i.e. a load of
>old bollocks).  If Graeme thinks he poses such a threat to other
>traffic, what is he going to do about it?

Nothing, Mike.  It doesn't faze me.  I've assessed the risks and I live
happily with them.  I don't believe I pose a higher risk than other glider
pilots.  I believe that the stats show that ALL glider pilots are at greater
risk of a near miss than other forms of aviation.  I take my own personal
steps to minimise the risks.  That's what life's about.  One of the things
on this group I get tired of is the large component whose personality seems
to demand that all risk be regulated away.

Now back to your description of my comment - you're certainly correct - at
the moment.  Your point about the current CASA hierarchy is a good one but
you miss my meaning.

"IF more near misses are reported" was my opening comment.  I didn't discuss
an increase in actual near misses - just an increase in reported near misses
(which Geoff Kidd seems to see as a good thing).  More and more, CASA
airspace policy is driven by politics.  The publicity barrage by the
regional airline pilots over NAS 2c is a good example.  Rationality had been
  carefully cultivated for years but it was trodden on and trashed by a few
weeks publicity.  Millions of dollars of educational material was thrown out
and the whole policy re-negotiated.

IF there is an increase in REPORTED glider near misses, what weapon do you
think the regional airline pilots will seize next time their tranquillity is
threatened?  In the ensuing publicity battle for the hearts and minds of
politicians, what makes you think glider pilots - sport aviation generally -
will win?

The US paradigm has made us believe that the natural order of things is that
airspace is free and open to all unless declared otherwise.  The East
European system - in fact much of Western Europe too - is that all airspace
is forbidden unless specifically declared open.  If gliding is seen to have
a horrifying rate of near misses, I think it entirely likely that all our
supporters in CASA won't be able to stop us being restricted from mixing
freely with other users.

Let's have this conversation again in ten years time.

Cheers,
Graeme.

CASA is well aware of the