Dear All....especially the membership development people in Gliding

The hang gliding sport in the USA is on the decline in membership
numbers  and they are exploring avenues to reverse the trend.

Their current initiative is to train as many instructors as they can in
winching to enable them to teach people as close to urban areas as
possible.

The largest hang gliding flight school in America has experimented with
the concept of selling interested people a set of trial lessons winching
rather than an Aerotow AEF. The conversion rate for people going on to
get a solo rating has gone from 1 % to 18 %.

For more detail on the story go to:

http://davisstraub.com/OZ/10.054

This raises a couple of questions ie:

-Is this a media beat up or are we reading about a businessmen following
his nose to make money or is it benevolence to help the sport ?
-Does this result have any relevance for gliding ?
-Even if it was relevant, maybe things are ok with the existing marking
approaches so we do not have to worry about having enough people to fly
with for the next 50 years !
-Maybe the result is not relevant, however there must be lots of other
ways to skin the cat if need be !

Michael Derry
Have Fun Flying Safely