plchampness wrote:
I am researching the history of the Flying Plank in Australia.  Does anyone have any recollections of Planks flying or being built?  What about Planks in thge USA or other countries.  Would anyone have a set of plans, construction drawings or construction notes?

Yours Peter Champness

Fred Hoinville had one at one stage.   I think there is a picture in his book "Halfway to Heaven".

This aircraft (if it may be called that  - and frankly I hesitate to do so) is reputed to be the one which somewhat mysteriously found itself in the Clare Soaring Club later in life where it was generally shielded (and correctly so) from public gaze at the back of one of the more poorly lit hangars.

There was a rumour that it was snuck away to a distant paddock in a quiet little valley and actually had a couple of short flights but this remains a rumour, and would certainly be outside of the club's operations, supervision or permission.   Perhaps it would be better to leave this tale as one of those mysterious and scary bar rumours.    For it did fly, it would have been truly scary, nay terrifying.

There were also rumours that it was subsequently discovered in one of the Waikerie buildings.  Indeed I thought I actually saw it myself hiding (the Plank that is - not me) in the roof of the maintenance hangar  at one stage but it may have been an aberration, which, when I think about it,  is probably the best description for the aircraft itself.   A truly dreadful concept.

Are you really sure you want to to explore this further??

Regards,
Terry
:-)