-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Todd Sandercock
Sent: Tuesday, 19 September 2006 7:16 AM
To:
Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Reichmann

Thank you
That makes more sense now. its just that i use a technique where as you hit the strong lift you tighten up  for about 3/4 of a circle and then go back to normal and that seems to work quite well.

Todd

John Wharington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Todd,

Reichmann's technique as described in his book does indeed work. I
think you may be misunderstanding it slightly because of what might be a
translation error or oversimplified use of language.

To be more formal (and correct), his technique is:
- 1) While the climb is improving, flatten the circle
- 2) While the climb is deteriorating, steepen the circle

The effect of 1 is to tend to head toward the core, and the effect of 2
is to turn away from sink. Overall this results in the center of the
spiral to gradually drift towards the core.

So, you see the distinction is not "flatten out when at the strongest
lift" but rather "flatten out as the lift is increasing" etc.

In my PhD thesis I used this technique in an auto-thermalling control
system for an unmanned aircraft and it works quite well.

Hope this clarifies things.

Johnny

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 22:56 +1000, Todd Sandercock wrote:
> hi all
>
> I was just reading the bible (Reichmann's "cross country soaring") and
> came accross the thermaling technique described by reichmann. the
> technique to me seams wrong. i'm guessing if it is, then it has
> already been discused on this list but here it is anyway:
> - as climb improves, flatten the circle (15-20 degrees)
> - as climb deteriorates, steepen the circle (50 degrees)
> - if climb remains constant, keep bank constant (25-30 degrees)
>
> in the book it describes keeping the same bank angle for half a
> circle. so i have attached a couple of my drawings of the situation.
> the first is of the method above. the second picture is the opposite
> (as climb improves, steepen the circle. as climb deteriorates, flatten
> the circle).
>
> these drawings are my interpritations of the method so feel free to
> tell me what im doing wrong.
>
> Todd

On Yahoo!7
Answers: 25 million answers and counting. Learn something new today