Mitchell Preston wrote:
I'm toying with the notion of buying a GPS unit; budget around $500. What makes and models may be recommended by your good selves?
I suggest that you consider a FLARM plus an iPaq running mSeeYou. This will not only provide you with an in cockpit GPS system, with final glide computer, but also give you the benefit of FLARM (see http://www.rf-developments.com/page008.html). This however si really only an option if you have your own aircraft as you need to wire the FLARM into the power and position it so it is both visible to you and the sky (for the GPS aerial and the FLARM aerial).

You can find the wiring diagram for linking a FLARM and an iPaq at my mobile SeeYou pages (see http://www.hart.wattle.id.au/alice/gliding/UsingmSeeYou.html).

This will break your budget, but it does, I believe, provide the best possible system.

If you are looking just for a basic GPS, I strongly recommend that you buy one with a barometric altimeter. I have just purchased a Garmin Geko 301. This is quite usable by itself (don't forget to buy the cable to ling the unit to your PC so you can transfer data around) but I also use it with my iPaq when XC coaching in our club 2 seaters (I have made up a harness that plugs into the glider battery and then the glider systems plug into it).

--
Robert Hart                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+61 (0)438 385 533                           http://www.hart.wattle.id.au