-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Stuart
& Kerri FERGUSON
Sent: Wednesday, 8 November 2006 8:25 PM
To: 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.'
Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] GPS units - opinions please...

Mitch - there is no shortage of advice here, but has anyone answered
your question?

FLARM and Conflict avoidance equipment.

It would appear that many in the gliding community have come to the
conclusion that FLARM is the answer to in flight collision avoidance,
but is it?

But let's not get too excited, only 300 gliders or approx 30% of the
Australian glider fleet has been fitted. We also share the sky with the
Military Aviation, GA, RAA, HGFA and the RAAA community (have I missed
anyone), how many aircraft in these fleets are fitted? Do they have
anything
near the same Visual Lookout culture we do?

I am not knocking FLARM but to be truly effective there has to be an
across the board acceptance by all G and E airspace users to a common
standard of
electronic position sharing. I live in hope.

SDF