-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Allan
Armistead
Sent: Friday, 1 December 2006 10:13 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: RE: [Aus-soaring] Airfield tenure.

A story that's replicated at Canberra airport. Sell an airport to a property
developer and what does he see? A vast, undeveloped piece of land with a few
inconvenient strips of bitumen on it. Now we have ever growing office
complexes, buildings that are on the minimums for clearance/height from the
runways, a massive "factory outlet" shopping centre, fees and charges that
are ever rising, and traffic that stuffs up the surrounding semi-arterial
roads. All done with only the "consent" of the Commonwealth, exempt from the
planning regime of the ACT (for what that's worth).

Even our (Canberra Gliding Club) "summer base" at Temora is subject to
development pressures as the Council pushes the "aviation park" theme -
which is all very well until it starts to threaten the continued existence
of a very handy cross runway. Oh, and the good old caravan park, right on
the edge of the airfield, is now seen by some as an "eyesore" when the flash
new houses start to overlook it. Although it seems the threat is held at bay
for the time being at least. And the not insignificant presence of the
Aviation Museum would suggest it will remain an active airfield in the
foreseeable future.

Fortunately, due to forward thinking by the members of 30 years ago, we own
our own piece of ground freehold (Bunyan, near Cooma). Although  the "rural
residential" development is slowly pushing out from Cooma and we need to be
more aware of the noise aspects of our operation, I guess by the time it
becomes a real issue our airfield will be subdividable and we will be
sitting on an extremely valuable asset - and the members in the future will
be in a position to cash in, and find a new (probably less convenient) site.

Allan Armistead
ph (02) 6249 6470, mobile 0413 013 911
PO Box 908, Dickson ACT 2602, Australia

"When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been and there you always will be."
Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519