On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 07:15:38 +0800, Derek Ruddock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For pilots who need reading glasses, The Cancer Council of NSW is now
> selling polarised sunglasses with magnifying inserts i.e. a little like
> bifocals, but with the main part plain. They work very well, and are an
> alternative to the stick on reading lenses. Price is $39.99
>

> Just the thing for reading a PDA or a map, whether in the cockpit or in
> the car

Well...Almost. If they work for some, great!
Unfortunately, most people with correctives also have astigmatism corrections
required and without those, magnification only can get very tiring. Even worse
is that few people have similar defects in both eyes, whereas the stickies
assume that they're the same.
The other problem is that darker glasses cause the pupil to open
correspondingly to compensate for loss of apparent light. This in turn reduces
the resolution of the eye making the corrections (or lack of) more critical
than otherwise.
Perhaps one of the optometrists in our sport can comment.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind trying them...do you have a link ?

cheers  Z