Thanks for the off list replies.

I have received reports of 7 instances from instructors and pilots alike. Not a
huge number, but then this may indicate that this is a quite isolated problem.

My experience were similar to others and also similar to the situations
described by Drek Piggott in "Sub Gravity Sensations and Gliding Accidents".

The trainee coped with demonstrations of gentle stalls and nose high stalls,
although I did note a tendency for the trainee to hold the nose down and
allowing the airspeed to increase excessively, but this was not an uncommon
finding with trainees when introduced to stalls. Hence I was not expecting any
problem.

When I handed over to him and talked him through a nose high stall (i.e. Patter
went along the lines of "Raise the nose above the horizon, keep it there by
keeping the stick coming back, feel the pre stall buffet, note the nose
dropping despite having full back stick, recover..."). During recovery, the
trainee then eased the stick forward, but then as the aircraft nosed over more
(we were now un-stalled by this stage), the trainee then suddenly put the stick
to the front stop. The trainee was with head arched back almost looking at me
upside down! By the time I caught it (a combination of the surprise factor plus
reaction time), we had gone past vertical (dust was stuck to the canopy, I was
hard up against my shoulder straps). The trainee pilot did not let go of the
stick even after I told him to. I had to do a high speed, high G pull out (I
was careful not to use excessive control inputs because we were above Vmax
manoeuvring). Airspeed got close to Vne, no flutter occurred.

After stabilising into a safe flying attitude, I did a control check and deemed
that all was fine.
I again demonstrated gentle stalls to the trainee and then he did some
recoveries himself with me talking him through. I then did a post-brief on the
ground; the pilot didn't know what had happened when he bunted the nose over
and was at a loss to explain.

Some notes I received: If the aircraft is almost inverted after nosing over,
consideration of a roll out to recovery may be needed, because pulling through
from inverted runs the risk of overspeed. This point is made in the book "The
Handbook of Glider Aerobatics" by Peter Mallinson.
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Glider-Aerobatics-Peter-Mallinson/dp/1840371102

To summarise:
Negative (reduced) G sensitivity is a rarely reported problem, with subtle
warning signs, but a dramatic (often surprising and rapidly deteriorating)
presentation with potentially catastrophic results.
With repeated and graded exposure to reduced G situations as well as an
explanation of what is happening, most (if not all) affected pilots will learn
to tolerate reduced G.

M.T.