At 09:10 AM 31/01/2007, you wrote:
Mike

I don't think that was entirely fair.
Personally I don't see the continuing development of this product to
broaden its use as limitations or 'expensive work arounds' becoming
apparent.

Certainly I wouldn't like to see any sort of innovation in aviation
safety (flarm or otherwise) limited to what was originally promoted.
Hardly the way to move forward.

Jo

As I'm on record as being in favour of electronically enhanced see and avoid you shouldn't take this as criticism of such systems in general.

Did you read the original FLARM website stuff?

Are you denying that FLARM was promoted as being simple cheap and effective with simple installation?

Even requiring transparent antennas on canopies means that lending or hiring a FLARM for a temporary installation becomes more difficult and expensive.

Human beings are bad at monitoring where nothing out of the ordinary happens for long periods of time(the airliner cockpit problem nowadays). Which is why an electronically enhanced see and avoid system is desirable. However I think you'll find that human beings are lazy and if told that much of the traffic conflict risk has been eliminated(reduced is what they really mean but eliminated is what they'll think) monitoring of traffic that isn't equipped will be even worse. This is the human psychology problem with such systems until you get effective 100% coverage. This means that not only the system must work but the installation must work. I know how well that's done in gliding in general(not very). I've seen some pretty ragged looking ultralights so I don't think it is going to be done any better there in many cases.

Flarm has been an excellent demonstration of large scale deployment of an electronic see and avoid system. The thing that made this possible was the use of a licence free low power radio band but this also is the basis of the limitations that are becoming apparent. Unfortunately getting a single world wide frequency for this that would allow higher output power seems to be extremely difficult. I hope I'm wrong.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784