I had a look at Kingaroy's C150 tug on Sunday at Dalby.

Looks nice repainted in rich yellow and stands out much better than white I think.

Contrary to what is on the GFA website from the etug people, they claim they don't have an airframe problem. A couple of bolts weren't properly tightened on the tailplane mount and by sending a small person in to the tailcone this problem was rectified.

I've seen this tow and had a launch behind it and it is really good.

A LAME friend reckons the airframe is one of the best for durability and there is an STC to do the O360 conversion so no certification problems. The same LAME was unimpressed by the Pawnee airframe nowadays.

The O360 is 2/3 of a O540 so burns about 2/3 the fuel and there are only 4 pots to overhaul etc etc. Cessna made heaps of 150's and they didn't all go to trainer use. There seem to be a few for sale in each Aviation Trader.

I'd think some work on closing up the cowl with automatic flaps might avoid shock cooling and be easier to certify than a new auto engine.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784