I am keenly interested in why accidents occur (and seem to re-occur) and
propose to write a paper on same. The common taxonomies of
powered flight don't necessarily all apply to gliders, so I'm going to
develop or modify an existing one and apply it to the (considerable) data
that I have. Does anyone have any suggestions about
existing or potential taxonomies that could be used? The grouping can be
used to categorise accidents which may lead to some new conclusions about
accident cause, and possibly accident causation. It is highly likely that
there may be overlapping causation or other factors so there may need to be
a primary and secondary cause or causal factor.
Perhaps, as a starting point, could I suggest:
Takeoff
Landing
Thermalling
cruising
circuit joining/planning
(where do we put the 'spun in' incidents)
etc.
Regards,
Dave