Interesting attitude. This is like saying because I drive a 1960s US
8l V8 that gets about 25l/100k, I should pay less tax to make up for
my expensive choice of car.

Europe has moved to a tax system based on emissions - the less fuel
burnt, the fewer emissions in general, hence diesels score better.
The result is the current crop of excellent diesels - BMW, Mercedes,
VW/Audi, Citroen/Peugeot, Renault, Volvo and others all have diesels
that are as powerful as similar capacity petrol engines, and use 30%
less fuel to do the job.

Surely any responsible politician (ok they all fail here) should be
promoting more efficient cars, not taxing them to make them as
expensive to run as the worst.