Jarek... can you please contact me off list regarding your entry for the Multi
Class Nationals.

Tom Gilbert

  From: Jarek Mosiejewski
  To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
  Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:42 PM
  Subject: [Aus-soaring] LS4 Reference Weight

  Hi,

  The GFA Glider Handicaps 2007/8 - Multiclass document lists the LS4 a/b's
reference weight at 525 kg.

  If I look into the LS 4 flight manual (this is the Geelong Gliding Club's
LS4a VH-UKA: http://www.gliding-in-melbourne.org/new/files/fmanuals/LS4a.pdf ),
it states its empty weight at 241 kg; on the page 14, there is a Water Ballast
Limitations table.  For a glider with the empty weight of 240kg and the Pilot
and Parachute weight of say 100kg, the allowable water ballasts is 132 kg:

  241kg + 100kg + 132kg = 473kg.

  This is 57kg short of the published reference weight.

  The max water ballast for the LS4 is 140 l (manual, page 30), so if the
manual is right, it is physically and legally impossible to take this glider to
its published reference weight.

  Clearly there is something wrong here, either the reference weight is to high
or the LS 4 manual is incorrect.  Does anyone have any idea?

  Thanks
  Jarek