  From: Terry Neumann
  To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
  Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:53 AM
  Subject: [Aus-soaring] Soaring with eagles

  It's been good to hear the various eagle stories.   It begs a question as to
how high they actually go in thermals.

  The highest I've actually seen an soaring bird was in a thermal at around
10,000 feet near Farrell Flat many years ago when I was in one of our Libelles.
  It wasn't a wedgetail but a much smaller bird.  What it was doing there at
that height at about 1600 hours has puzzled me ever since.   It's possible that
he/she had the same questions about me.

  Hoinville relates a fascinating story in his book Halfway to Heaven about an
eagle that went quite some distance on a cross country with him.

  We are privileged indeed to have these moments.

  Terry

  PS For anyone in Adelaide wondering whether it might be a good day, I can
report that the first Cu's were nicely established north east of Clare at 0945
SA DST when I first looked.   (Sorry, I can't make use of them either  :'( .)