I was looking for words to say something similar - thanks Tim - The sport rules should be about ensuring fair competition. They should not duplicate or try to usurp the law - there is adequate policing of that from elsewhere.

Tim's comment about draconian laws is also spot on. Under the previous rules with zero points for any breach, 1 metre or 10km got the same penalty, organisers were very keen to "ignore" small breaches. This then became very subjective and produced some perverse results - Tim knows what I am talking about - and I believe this was part of the incentive to switch to the same rules as used in most of the rest of the world - they would have produced a far more equitable solution from a sporting perspective.