Cath Conway wrote:
> Can anyone explain why it is more expensive in Australia when
> it is a less refined product?

> (actually yes I know the answer is taxes but why is the tax
> not consistent across all fuels?  Why do Diesel users pay more?)

A quick search on Google found the following page:

http://www.aip.com.au/pricing/facts/Facts_about_Diesel_Prices.htm

It is the oil industry explaining why diesel prices are what they are
(with the added bonus of *lots* of underlining).
It seems to boil down to:

 Singapore price + shipping + taxes - subsidies + profit

Note that the allowable sulphur content of Australian diesel was reduced
from 500 pmm (IIRC) to the current level of 50 ppm within the last
couple of years meaning higher refining costs.

Mark

Can anyone explain why it is more expensive in Australia when it is a
less refined product?

(actually yes I know the answer is taxes but why is the tax not
consistent across all fuels?  Why do Diesel users pay more?)

-Cath

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence
Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT
1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.