Hi Dave,

On 14:21:32 23/05/2008 Dave Donald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm hoping that someone may be able to explain the relationship
> between Temperature inversion, dew point/cloud production and High
> Pressure (and it's effect on cloud). High pressure (and its
> associated stability) is a cloud killer, but why when all a parcel of
> air has to do is rise and condense? Where is the lower layer of an
> inversion in relation to cloud production or condensation? Above
> cloud base? I've seen various diagrams in relation to temperature
> inversion and they're pretty vague about where the inversion is in
> relation to cloud.

What you are asking are pretty big questions. Most of these are best
explained and understood by using a tephigram, or skew-t log-p diagram.
However, these diagrams are pretty complicated.

The PDF below explains the relationships between inversion, dew point,
cloud production and rising air fairly well, and is pretty short. It might
take a few reads though.

http://homepages.see.leeds.ac.uk/~lecimb/envi1400/lectures/The-Tephigram.pdf

I'll try to write a little summary tonight.

Mats