    *From:* Phil McCann <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    *To:* Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
    <mailto:aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
    *Sent:* Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:24 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [Aus-soaring] GFA, marketing and democracy in the
    GFA (was Re: PDA Programs andothermatters)

    It is good to see a discussion on governance.  I will try not to
    be long winded, (thus incurring JR's acerbic wit) but even in
    point form this is a huge topic.

    Some points to ponder.

    The GFA is not "them", as in a group of overly conservative people
    inflicting their wicked way on down trodden glider pilots, it is
    "us" as in every member of the organisation.

    There is nothing that has been raised in this discussion that has
    not been thought through and discussed in detail by those members
    who volunteer their time to sit on the Board, the Executive, the
    range of committees, both regional and national, necessary to
    administer our activities.  And before someone gets on the
    ...there is your problem... band wagon, I suggest they (and
    everybody with an interest in gliding) go to

http://www.gfa.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=251&Itemid=190
    and have read through a couple of years minutes then tell us all
    which bits are no longer needed and why.  This will also give
    anyone interested an idea of the range of issues involved in the
    administration of a recreational and sporting activity like gliding.

    There is no one right governance model for any organisation and we
    have the one we have as a result of development over the life of
    the organisation.  Is it the best, maybe, possibly not.  Does it
    work, yes, to a greater or lesser degree.  Can it be changed, yes,
    but only by the development of reasoned proposals and convincing
    the membership of the merits of those proposals.

    Some comment on the "D" word which often gets an airing when
    someone doesn't get what they want.  Democracy doesn't mean every
    individual gets a say in everything.  It is a system of governance
    whereby the "people" govern themselves either by direct means (a
    bit impractical) or they give the responsibility to freely elected
    groups such as a board of management. GFA has a legally
    established charter which provides for how the Board members are
    appointed, and guess what, nobody can appoint themselves.  Every
    position is appointed by the membership through a known process
(If you don't know the process then there is a bit of homework). If any members are dissatisfied with the people currently running
    the show then there are avenues to change the appointments.  Go
    back and read the last couple of paras of Robert Hart's earlier
    post, that says it all.  If enough people don't like the way
    things are being done and are prepared to do something about it
    then there will be change.  At the end of the day the majority
    rules.  The current arrangements are the majority view from the
    past and therefore should not change until the majority decide
    they should.

    What's my interest in all this?  I am currently the VSA rep on the
    GFA board, elected unopposed at a meeting of delegates of all the
    club's in the Vic/Tas Region.  I would dearly love to be an
    opposed candidate next time the election rolls around because it
    would give the club delegates a choice which can only be healthy.

    Just for the record, all the current Board and Executive members
    are active glider pilots who give up large slabs of their time
    (much of it over weekends when everyone else is out flying) to
ensure that we can all enjoy our gliding in a safe environment. The Board and Exec members bring a diverse range of views to the table which ensures that all issues are subject to robust debate. I would encourage any members of this list who don't agree with
    how things are run to get involved, talk to your regional Board
    rep, or even better still, nominate for election to the Board.

Cheers
    Phil