Good list, Ben!
Not just applicable to Australia. Two years ago we contacted all of the members
who had not renewed or reappeared at my UK club. Direct confidential
conversations. Some replies were astonishingly rude. Some responded to the
personal contact (and the fact that they were listened to) and returned. Not
all of these survived a further year. A large proportion of those contacted had
been frustrated by their slow progress, but this was seen in terms of 'not
being attended to'. It was a personal inerraction issue. Since then the
(professional) team has exercised a strong ethos 'you will not waste your time
here'. Ground briefings, glider maintenance, even club/building maintenance,
and of course flying wherever possible. And a good pot of tea always on the go.
Even if they dont fly (try the British weather...it happens a lot) they should
go away feeling appreciated/educated/entertained...whatever. Anything but
unseen/unknown/ not valued.
Sadly, it seems to be very difficult to get the volunteer/weekend instructor
crew to adopt the same attitude (with a few individual exceptions). Attendance
midweek is strong. Attendance at weekends has dropped dramatically.
That is a 'cultural' element. The basic one. Maslot? We have also structured
X/C courses from 50km aspirants to bigger adventures. After two years of great
success and takeup these are now foundering due to fears of recession plus the
frustration of British weathers. But they are a great thing to do...several
members would have left gliding had they been left to learn on their own
post-solo.
Having said all of that, the club membership is not growing, but perhaps we
slowed the decline.
Gavin.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Wed, 28 May 2008 20:14:48
+0900Subject: [Aus-soaring] GFA,marketing and democracy in the GFA

Just thinking outside the box again,

When people decide to not renue there membership with the GFA, is there
anything in place to ask the departing member WHY they have decided to pull the
pin.

Eg :
Medical reasons
Age reasons
Too steep learning curve
Learning cure not steep enough
Not compatible with the club members
Cost
Not what the thought gliding was
Lack of post solo training.
CFI is a dick
Lack of 2 seater club aircraft to take your guests flying due to abinito
requirements
Club politics
Stuipd paper hurdles to get into the next higher performance aircraft
i'd rather be a "turn-key" powered pilot mentality
airspace restrictions
Distance to the airfield from home  ( measured in hours of driving )
can't over come the need to barf every flight
No level 2 instructors to be seen anywhere on a public holiday to run the ops
so junior pilots drive 150 KMS home with another Zero hrs in the log book.
and so on.......

Collecting this data should answer the question , " Why cant we retain members"

Simple to me..................

Then the answers sould provide direction for changes to be made at the club
level or GFA level.

Confusus say " Man who askes questions gets some answers, Man who asks no
questions gets no answers"

Ben
West Oz

Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT