  _____

From: aus-soaring- On Behalf Of Stuart & Kerri FERGUSON
Sent: Saturday, 7 June 2008 8:06 AM

.

Your second point reminds me of a book, "Darker Shade of Blue; the Rogue
Pilot" is tremendous reading

on the subject. I had the privilege of meeting the author and discussing the
subject when I was studying Aviation Safety Management several years ago -
the following paragraph is cut from an on line review of this book -
riveting stuff.

Darker Shade of Blue: the Rogue Pilot by Lt. Col. Tony Kern, Ph. D.,
(McGraw-Hill, 1999) examines the fundamental failure of otherwise good
pilots to maintain disciple. Too many aviators who have "good hands" for
flying have bad attitudes toward authority, risk, the immutable facts of
aeronautics, and ultimately their own limitations. This lack of discipline
kills. It kills pilots -- and it costs the lives of crews, passengers, and
people on the ground. Despite the uncompromising tone of Kern's book, the
understated truth is that rogue culture pervades all of aviation.

SDF

man/listinfo/aus-soaring