JR,

My point exactly, though I don't think you intended it :).

Why does gliding treat instructors as adults and everyone else like potentially irresponsible children?

It's not that way in any other form of aviation. The whole point of being an independent operator is so you can operate independently - my question was only to ask, what sort of structure would better suit those people. None of this suggests that we don't need a BFR (come to think of it, why isn't it "B" in gliding?) or a medical, or a maintenance release - only to observe that in every other form of aviation it is the responsibility of the independent operator themselves to ensure compliance. Of course, the owner of a glider may impose whatever additional requirements they wish - again this happens routinely in all forms of aviation.

This is not an attack on instructors by the way. They are in almost every case sensible and pragmatic people who do a terrific job.

Cheers

Tim

JR wrote:
Hi Tim,
who would know when you had your annual flight reveiw, or who would know how current you were, this could get pretty nasty, thats why we have CFI's, to make sure we all know how to recover from incipient spins, and fly proper circuits.
regards
JR