John,

         You have to have a realist look at what SPOT is - it is a private
network tracking device - the concept is not new,

what is new with SPOT is the price point - this unit is now priced where
recreational people of many disciplines find them

affordable and I predict that SPOT is the first of many we will see in the
near future. As I have said the concept is not new, I

have been trialing a similar device called ""Tracplus"
http://www.tracplus.com/index.aspx  for work - the unit I have been flying
is

Mil Spec and therefore priced out of reach of most recreational uses.

SPOT offers a service to their clients as does Tracplus - this is service
contract is between SPOT and their clients, nothing to do with CENSAR or
anyone else.

HOWEVER if you become overdue for any reason it is up to the person or
organization maintaining your SAR (and I do not believe SPOT does that) to

contact the correct authorities, and the correct authorities will depend on
what activity you're undertaking under the National SAR Plan. As I
understand it

SPOT also has a distress alerting function, and as I understand it they have
taken on the responsibility to notify the correct authorities when they
receive an alert

who will then follow their procedures - these procedures vary from country
to country.

SPOT v PLB - the PLB does not offer tracking and all the fun and benefits
that can be derived from that.

                        The PLB does not provide last known position - if in
fact the last SPOT report was the last known position - very valuable
information is you go missing.

                        406 PLB does alert the Government SAR authorities
directly when activated and continues to report until turned off (or the
batteries run out which should not happen)

Flight Planning - you could fill the details into Field 18 of the flight
plan - it could be very useful information.

The bottle line is read the SPOT documentation if you are happy with the
product go for it.

SDF

  _____