Micheal,

The worrying thing is the long term CO2 trend.

Life on Earth is going to have a problem long before the sun dies or becomes a red giant. The CO2 is all getting sequestered in the rocks and below 100ppm in the atmosphere all the plant life dies followed shortly by all the animal life and if we're still around, then us.

We're doing the biosphere a service by releasing locked up carbon. However burning coal for stationary power generation is a pretty nasty business as various things like mercury and radioactive elements in the coal are released into the atmosphere. Coal power plants would be shut down if they were nukes due to the radioactive release. Better to convert to liquid transport fuels where some of the nasties can be taken out in the process. The best way to use hydrogen as a fuel is to tie it to carbon atoms. Then we can continue to drive to gliding sites and still have fuel for launches.

Mike