Thanks for that link.. Problem is I cant get anything to play it (QuickTime or VLC on Vista).. Sent the file to my Bro and it plays ok on his Mac. Anyone else with the same problem ?

DMcD wrote:
Thanks for Zulu Romeo!

I have uploaded a Quicktime movie on vintage gliding. It is a series
of old Movietone and Pathe clips, some with a watermark, showing
sailplanes in the '30s at places like Dunstable, Brooklands,
Wasserkuppe, Italy, France and even at what appears to be Stanwell
Park. Launches are by bungy, winch and aerotow.

In the Stanwell sequence, the voice over (or "observation" is it is
called in the clip) claims the glider top lands on a horse. Well it
nearly does. When the glider does a 360ยบ turn close to the hill, the
sink rate makes a standard Rogallo look impressive. Certainly top
landing a sailplane at Stanwell would take a bit of nerve.

It takes my breath away to see some of the beautiful gull wing planes
of the era almost scraping a wing tip on a ridge.  And I wonder what
would happen now if someone tried to fly one of Patch's group's
sailplanes in the same way!

http://www.4shared.com/file/111471806/df3eb297/Vintage_Gliding_Video.html

I would appreciate any feedback on the Stanwell sequence from people
with more knowledge than me.

The clips were supplied by Angelo Crapanzano from Italy.