what we REALLY need is an AFTERBURNER :-D

http://www.skypipe.de/index.php?site=turbinen

Note the X80NB (i dont speak German)

that would be SWEET :-)

Ben

On 27/06/2009, at 8:18 AM, Mike Borgelt wrote:

At 01:00 AM 27/06/2009, you wrote:
Mike,
I really hope they are successful - I hate 2 strokes. How many Capronis are there around the world? You would think after 25 years there would be heaps!

Don't know how many of the jet they built but a now deceased friend of mine owned 3 all at the same time once! He was very enthusiastic about them even with the limitations but Mike Burns has fixed the problems which had to do with engine installation and a couple of other things and got much better performance.

The interesting thing is that the better the thrust to weight ratio less fuel is needed for a launch because there is a certain amount just to stay in level flight. Having a greater rate of climb means you use fuel for a shorter time. The problem is that as the T/W increases you get the best rate of climb airspeed increasing and it rapidly gets to over 130 knots.

The performance numbers on engines you can buy right now are at www.amtjets.com . Complete with fuel consumption graphs etc. Two of the Titan engines should self launch a 600Kg glider quite adequately.

For a blue sky look at the future www.bladonjets.com . They haven't replied to my email of a week ago.

The ASW20 tri jet uses 3 23.5 Kg thrust engines for say 70 Kg thrust and a fuel burn of 2.4 litres a minute at full power. Performance seems more than adequate. It could use 2 of the 40 Kg Titans for 80Kg and a simpler fully retractable installation and 2.8 litres a minute at full power or just derate the engines to avoid the 130KIAS best rate of climb speed.

On the AMT website is a link to the commercial sustainer project using the 23.5 Kg engine. Mostly in German but some in English. This is the engine in the 2cxa sustainer so obviously somebody thinks this is a good idea and has adequate performace. The fuel consumption is much higher than with a 2 stroke turbo but it still compares well with a car retrieve.

Would you rather burn the fuel in the jet while avoiding an outlanding or in the car round trip after doing one?

Mike

I have heard more like 30L per launch to get enough static thrust but since I have not seen one and there are NO production self launching jets I will have to wait until I see yours! Stats on the Schempp 2cxa sustainer are a joke, the rate of climb and fuel usage of yours will have to be better than theirs!
Best of luck,
Tom