From: Mark Newton <new...@atdot.dotat.org>
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Glider pilots applying their skills to another
activity
To: "Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia."
<aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>

On 30/10/2009, at 6:52 PM, Paul Bart wrote:
Can you mention some cars that did please?  I was not aware of any that did
that well then, particularly if size is comparable.  Do not get me wrong, I am
no friend of Prius.
The Prius specifications claim 3.9L/100km, which is equivalent to 60 MPG.
That's if you drive it like a specialized vehicle, using all the efficiency
habits you can:  limiting speed, allowing the car to decelerate on the way up
hills and accelerate on the way backdown the other side, etc.
Basically you have to be an arsehole on the road :)
If you drive it like a normal car, Teh Googlez seem to believe thatyou get
44MPG out of it, dropping to 40 MPG as the battery packgets older.  That's on
the city driving cycle where the vehicle spends a lot of time at idle using 0
kW, it's worse if you're on the highway cycle doing 100km/h.
Here's a cite, under "best answer".  There are many like it if yousearch for
something like "prius fuel economy" and eliminate allthe toyota.com
links.http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060816094839AAVAEKj
For comparison:  A 1983 Honda Civic 5-speed manual gets46MPG urban and 59MPG on
the highway.A 1984 5-speed manual coupe gets 64 MPG on the highway, 48 MPG in
the city.http://www.mpgomatic.com/2007/10/16/honda-civic-gas-mileage-1978-2007/
Again, you'd have to be a road arsehole to achieve those numbers,but the point
is that they're in exactly the same range of expectationsas a 2009 Prius.
So I'm not particularly convinced by the Prius.  Yes, they crankan impressive
car out of a tiny engine, but in fuel economy termsit seems like we're sitting
still or going backwards.
  - mark

internal modem,                    new...@atdot.dotat.org     but it hurt when
I walked.                          Mark Newton----- Voice: +61-4-1620-2223