Covered pretty well here too - as error No.5

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/monckton/goreerrors.html

Dave

________________________________
From: Mike Borgelt <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com>
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
<aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
Sent: Thu, 5 November, 2009 9:19:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Fwd: Fw: Spotlight Magazine - Request to disseminate
information to civilians [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

At 06:50 AM 5/11/2009, you wrote:
> Yes after a quick scan through I thought a lot of the figures were familiar
> (changed the old Hawk to an F18, though).
>
> And further to Wombat's third paragraph the BASI report came out at a time,
> if my memory is somewhat correct, when there was a change in radio procedures
> and a greater reliability on radio separation was being recommended by
> BASI/CASA or whoever they were at the time. There was some small controversy
> at the time and I admit that I was on the side of "see and avoid" trumps
> radio. Even recall having arguments with at least one local aeroclub pilot.
> I notice since that report originally came out though, "see and avoid" has
> morphed into "unalerted see and avoid". This was due, I think, to the
> disparaging that "see and avoid" got from this particular report and the
> subsequent reliability on radio _alone_ which followed in the subsequent
> years.
>
> Note also that I am not saying that the report is factually wrong, it is a
> good collection of research and does show some real limitations of human
> vision. The problem was that, at the time, it was used as a sledge hammer and
> the alternate reliance on radio also had significant limitations which, just
> as Wombat noted, were never acknowledged.
>
> Regards
> SWK

Yeah Steve,

Another article with an agenda to do with the November 1993 changes to airspace
procedures.

Much like the absolute garbage about climate change in the media like the
Kilamanjaro article in the Australian yesterday. Yes the snow on Kilamajaro is
disappearing and it is caused by people but it is due to land clearing in the
surrounding areas, which means less evapo-transpiration and drier air being
carried up the mountain by upslope winds hence less snow so the removal rate by
sublimation exceeds the deposition rate, not CO2 induced (or any other kind of)
warming. This has been well known for years.

Macca, get your eyes checked. You obviously missed the numbers down the left of
the graph.

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:  mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com