We also have here a K13 and Zephyrus with nose skids. They have to launch beside the take-off strip and move onto it late in the ground roll after elevator authority is gained. At this point this seems to work OK. If we did not do that we would, in my view, see significant damage. The first time you establish a bitumen seal it looks solid but really there is not all that much there!

Regards

Roger Druce

On 26/04/2010 8:22 PM, Gary Stevenson wrote:
John,
Now that is REALLY weird ; a video comparison between winch launching and aerotow! ???? I find it hard to believe that you missed the obligatory childhood lecture (often repeated through the years), on comparisons: Apples with apples; oranges with oranges. The aerotow box was a total waste of time, and a major distraction. Nice video of the winch launch though, and good footage of the changed topography of the BM airfield.
Did you do any soaring off this or any other launch on the day?
What is the consensus of the users on the success (or otherwise) of the recently installed launch strips?
Cheers,
Gary
-- Original Message -----

    *From:* John Parncutt <mailto:jparn...@bigpond.net.au>
    *To:* 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.'
    <mailto:aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
    *Sent:* Monday, April 26, 2010 6:46 PM
    *Subject:* [Aus-soaring] Winch vers. Aerotow

    Hi All,

    Thought you might be interested to see this comparison between
    winch launching and Aerotow.

    Greig Wanless and Roger Druce on Aerotow with Axel Allgaier and
    myself on Geelong G/C winch.

    A great day for winching on Saturday with about 15 -20 knots of
    wind straight down 27 we were consistently getting 2000ft AGL.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1leolUCAY

    Cheers,

    John

    04/26/10 04:31:00