I also know a few who started in the UK with the cadets many years ago and have come back to gliding later in life.

regards,
Arie

On 27/08/2010 5:49 PM, harry medlicott wrote:
Hi Dave
Yes, you are a contributor and making a genuine effort to promote gliding. It seems you might have had a favourable influence in your club. If we had more like you am sure the gliding movement would be in a far more favourable position. Spoke to some pilots from the Netherlands recently. About 30% of their pilots are under 30 you and half of these are young women. In promoting our sport we need to look at all possible sources of members and cater for their needs. We have young people happy to push gliders around all day but can only afford modest glider and launch costs, the time poor but affluent who want to have their lesson or flight and then leave the field and the empty nesters, their children have left home, the mortgage is paid off and they are looking for a new challenge. Just at the moment am concentrating my efforts on making gliding affordable for AAFC cadets. The lack of support from GFA makes me wonder if it is worth the effort.Our clubs new manager, Ian Downes is also making an effort to attract official local high school support,
Harry Medlicott

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Dave Boulter <mailto:daveboul...@internode.on.net>
    *To:* Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
    <mailto:aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>
    *Sent:* Friday, August 27, 2010 2:26 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [Aus-soaring] Death of a Movement

    Like yourself and Paul and many others I know, I do something
    every week and every day to grow gliding and get more members. I
    happen to be a member of said Sydney Club and I talk with people
    actively and dont just "take their money". I know a whole bunch of
    people who do similar at my Club.

    Say what you like about NSW Gliding, but we are doing stuff now
    and will continue to improve that in the future. With more arms
    and legs we could probably do even more. Sometimes you have to
    pick your battles, you know that.

    The Sydney Club in question has more than ten scholarships in
    progress at present and would offer more. These kids get their
    flying for free (yep members pay for it) and the kids pay
    launches. We would take more if more were there.

    It is good to see Clubs doing stuff at grass roots levels, as I
    said previously.

    On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM, harry medlicott
    <hw.medlic...@optusnet.com.au
    <mailto:hw.medlic...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

        Paul,
        You are right. It is rather sad that the gliding club close to
        the largest city in Australia does not seem to convert many of
        its large number of its AEFs to gliding. Do they hand out
        pamplets or preferably videos etc.? It seems that many
        instructors get their flying free from the back seat of a DG
        1000 and tugpilots gets theirs launching but do they have a
        real interest in converting AEFs to members?.
        Re air cadets. LKSC has done somehing to make gliding
        affordable for air cadets. I have personally at no cost to the
        club built a winch powered by a Chevy 454 ci motor  using
        Dyneema rope which gives high safe launches. I have also just
        bought a Winch launch Assistant which shows the speed of the
        glider being launched on a display in the winch which will
        hopefully give even higher, safer launches. We are subsidising
        juniors membership to $40 which does not even cover the
        capitation fee associated with our lease, half glider hire
        rates  and membership by a generous donation of $100 pa per
        cadet aged 15/18 yo. Total of club membership and GFA is $76,
        which, coupled with a winch launch charge of $12 which gives a
        launch of 1,800/2'000 ft. We hope it is an offer to good to
        refuse. There are 90 AAFC cadets in our area and the hope is
        we will build up a cadre of young pilots . When AAFC cadets
        come to our club to fly an AAFC sponsored flight they tell us
        that aerotow etc. makes gliding unaffordable for them.
        Hopefully our initiatives will change all that.
        What disturbs me is that LKSC has approached both GFA and
        NSWGA asking for help to reduce the GFA membership
        charge commensurate to our clubs contribution and so far only
        got a flat no. The generous donor currently subsidising junior
        membership can't be expected to continue  The future of our
        dying sport must be in attracting new members, preferably
        young ones, so the refusal of GFA and NSWGA to help is pretty
        dismal.
        The future of our sport is the responsibility of us all. How
        many writing emails are actually doing something really
        constructive? Certainly Paul Mander who wrote the following
        email but how many others,
        Harry Medlicott