Ulrich,
That is beautifully written, and so true.

Your comment on flying with a wedge tail eagle reminds me of a chance encounter
I once had in a thermal with a gaggle of 5 Wedge Tailed Eagles,at a place now
long gone, called Bowling Green [Ingo Renner used it as a TP for a very
successful 100 km triangle world record attempt, many years ago] in southern
NSW.

[Apart from that one encounter, and over a period of more than 30 years
gliding, I have never seen more than two eagles together on the wing before or
since, and even then, never in a gaggle.]

 I joined their gaggle just slightly above them (they did not scatter on my
approach), and thus I was able to observe them at very close quarters. I noted
there was quite a difference in the size of the birds [was this some sort of
family?], but the one thing that has stayed with me to this very day is the
differentiation in markings of these birds. From above, it was very obvious
that each bird had totally different upper surface wing markings. Why has this
not been recorded in the "definifitative" texts? It is very obvious: No one (to
my knowledge), had ever observed and reported on this phenomenon of a wedge
tailed eagle gaggle (family?) from above.

Moving on.
In what now seems to be almost another life, I had (quite by chance), the
opportunity to observe the Wandering Albatross (Diomeda  exulans), totally free
in its natural environment in the middle of the Southern Ocean. David
Attenborough has done a definitive photo study on this " the most studied of
birds" but unfortunately I did not find the link to his doco on the subject, so
that I might post it here. I suggest that if you have any interest in soaring,
you follow this up. I am not sure if it was mentioned in the doco, but these
birds can potentially live for at least 50 years. In most cases they mate for
life. The major threat to their lives is  the hooks on "long line" fishing
systems. They go for the bait, get snagged by the hook, and drown.

Let me make some points and ask some questions:

Firstly, a personal statement  - despite the amount of research that has been
done, I suspect that there are further surprises when it comes to considering
the many aspects of  the Wandering Albatross.

It is suggested in the literature that their glide ratio is about 22:1. How was
this derived and by whom?

>From observation, I found that each and every bird has its own unique
>markings, and was therefore instantly recognisable.

It is total nonsense to believe that any Albatross flies for ever, and does not
settle quite comfortably on the surface of the ocean below.

The folding of all that wing (up to 4 m span), is something that has to be seen
to be believed.{There is potentially  a possible commercial/military payoff
here.}

These birds are masters of dynamic soaring.

Ingo proposed and demonstrated (many years ago), that under a specifically
defined set of conditions, dynamic soaring is possible for gliding pilots. As
far as I know this has never been followed up.

If you think you are good, do you think you can better soar than a Wandering
Albatross?

Regards,
Gary