So should we follow our European colleagues, particularly the Dutch
for whom I believe transponders were made mandatory? After the not
inconsiderable financial pain of having their new toys installed and
now having to have the installation certified every year they are
being told to switch them to standby during:

        Winch launching ("resolution advisories" to overflying airliners, ATC
alerts due to high climb rate apparently)

        Aerotows (ATC getting alerts on their screens)

        Flying in gaggles (ATC getting alerts on their screens)

        In busy areas around airports (ATC screens too cluttered)

        So when would a glider actually have the transponder on? How likely
is a collision in that case? How likely is a collision under these
conditions with the transponder on?

        Agreed, once these teething problems are fixed (some won't be that
easy) and all systems can handle these cases then I'll definitely want
one too. Until the equipment list in Annex E of DP1006AS and ATC have
the gear that'll actually do the job, my responses to these proposals
will be to politely point out the issues with the request to
reconsider. If the Dutch disaster repeats itself here, maybe an
entrepreneurial lawyer can be convinced to help with a class
action...?

 Ulrich Stauss

 On Mon 29/11/10 09:38 , Terry Neumann tfneum...@internode.on.net
sent: